The Woman’s Club was formed June 15, 1948 for the purpose of educational, literary, and charitable work. They had a vision of making the community a better place while having fun. Their goal was “Friendship, Fellowship, and Service to the Community”. The meeting was held in the old firehouse on St. Mary’s Street in Rockport.
In the Fall of 1948, the recreational building of Humble Oil Company at Ingleside, Texas was bought by Mrs. Fred B. Hunt and Mrs. C.C. Fowler as representatives of the club. Mr. Emory M. Spencer underwrote this purchase. The building was moved by barge in three sections to the present location.
The first major endeavor of the club was to form a library. The project was organized by Mrs. Julia West. The Aransas County Library was started in Arthur Bracht’s old warehouse in Fulton with apple and orange crates for shelves. Mrs. Joe H. Slocum (Dollie) was president in 1956 when the first project was commenced.
- Scholarships to graduates of Rockport-Fulton High School
- Project Graduation
- Aransas County Pubic Library